Tuesday, May 3, 2011

It Gets Better, In the Aftermath

Lately, what's been on in the car is the album For Your Entertainment by Adam Lambert. My favorite song on the album? Aftermath.
As soon as I read the lyrics to this song, I said to myself, "This is about coming out." It never says that explicitly, but if you're LGBTQ, you get it.
According to Wikipedia, Adam co-wrote the song (with whom it doesn't say). This makes sense. Adam is gay. If you were watching Glee tonight, you might have caught a glimpse of him in the latest It Gets Better video. Which is also an ad for Google Chrome. :) I chose to ignore that part.
Watching the video, you can see the titles of the various YouTube videos of the It Gets Better project. I am constantly amazed at the number of people who have put these videos up. Lady Gaga. President Obama. The people who work at Google and Facebook. And Adam. I must say I don't like his phrasing when he says "who I choose to sleep with". Of course, it's true. Who you sleep with is a choice. It just misleads what feels like most of the world into thinking that wanting it is a choice, that falling in love is a choice.
But back to Aftermath. Every word in it is about feeling overwhelmed, about feeling like the rest of the world sees only a mask, about moving forward, and mostly, not being alone. As far as I'm concerned, the very best cut is the version that you buy, but a not-half-bad YouTube of it is here. Or, if you prefer, a remix that won an O award.
"Don't be afraid of what's inside/ Wanna tell ya, you'll be all right/In the aftermath."
There are so many people out there just waiting to welcome you to the wonderful world of being LGBTQ. Just do a YouTube search on It Gets Better.

No comments:

Post a Comment