Thursday, June 14, 2018

An Accident of Stars and A Tyranny of Queens


by Foz Meadows

Okay, screw that, this is my favorite author now. I found Foz through her fanfiction, which quickly became my favorite thing to read over and over, so much so that I recorded it so I could also reread it in the car and while falling asleep. And then she turned out to write published books, and goddamn her worldbuilding is amazing.

There's plenty more to read, but I started with An Accident of Stars and its sequel: Saffron makes a snap decision and jumps through a hole in reality, only to end up in Kena, where magic is real, long hair is political, marriages are polyamorous, and a political plot to depose the king ties together a frightened queen with a temper, a feisty apprentice with the key to salvation, and the weary worldwalker who put the king on the throne in the first place. Furthermore, it's linguistics geek wank and has a trans girl as the love interest.

I have the privilege of being friends with her on Discord, and she's a lovely person and also genderqueer.

No comments:

Post a Comment