Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Organization

I have a private Amazon wishlist with 125 books to look into for this story. I'm amused that the other wishlist, which has books to look into for multiple other stories, has only 25, adding to a round total of 150 books I'd like to read this summer, not counting the ones I've already got. I'm not going to read them all--the ones that are too difficult to get, too difficult to read, or just bad will get shoved to the bottom of the list.
That's today's plan--organize the list. Books that look the most useful go on top, books that might prove interesting side reading go on the bottom. To do this, I'm looking up each book AGAIN on Amazon, after having looked them all up all day yesterday, and writing a one-sentence summary in the wishlist notes section, just enough to remind me of which book it is I'm looking at. I'm making sure to include details that I think are important, such as whether the book details with FTM, MTF, genderqueer+, or some combination thereof, people--some of these will obviously be more relevant to my book than others. Personal stories are also going to be really important, but I need to prioritize fiction, too.
Why? One of the reasons I'm being this methodical is that the writing conference is part of a college course I'm taking. The course really begins June 6, when I'll send in a paragraph to the conference director describing three books I'm planning to read before the conference starts on July 6. (I may well have already read them at this rate.) One of them has to be about how to craft my genre (fiction), and two have to be in my genre. So as helpful as real-life memoirs are going to be, they won't count toward the course. Let me reassure you that I'm not planning on reading only two fiction books about my topic. I am planning on reading as much as my mind and schedule can handle, fiction and nonfiction. I'm just making sure to keep the actual course requirements in mind as I start research.
Next I go to the conference, and work on structuring the novel and producing actual material, and write a lot about the conference itself, which I'll turn in to the conference director (who's essentially the teacher of the course) with a revision of my work by August 15th.
So that's my summer plan. Look at me being all organized.

No comments:

Post a Comment