Monday, June 9, 2014

Sexuality Flag Jewelry


 You've seen rainbow bracelets. I make those. I figured out I can make two basic patterns with the six-string flag, stripe and diamond, the latter of which can make decent zipper pulls as well.
 But why stick to rainbows? I made the trans flag (blue, pink, white, pink, blue).



I made the pansexual flag. This one only has the three colors--pink, yellow, and blue--so it doesn't make the stripe pattern unless I use two of each color. But it does make an interesting knot pattern, and the diamond works just fine. That thing at the diagonal is actually an earring.



 The genderqueer flag (purple white and green in some order) is much the same. The bisexual flag I've only made so far with boondoggle (plastic), but it would make the same patterns (pink, purple, blue).
 


 The asexual flag (black, grey, white, purple) was interesting. Unlike the others, I could only get the correct grey in satin thread (no 50 shades jokes). So, to be texturally even, I got all the other colors in satin, too. Now, satin is a $!#% to do macrame with because it doesn't stay knotted. I had to use alligator clips to hold all eight working strings and the piece itself down throughout the entirely of making this thing.
 That's right, stare at it. Make it feel shame. So I decided not to make those apart from special people/occasions anymore, nor the stripe pattern, which still requires four strings and doesn't look very good. Instead, I turned half of the rest of my stock into a Viking Weave, which involves hanging four threads from the ceiling, tying weights to the bottom, and then playing catch with a parner, with the weights, in a specific pattern. Solves my alligator clip problem, and makes a thread nearly as high as a doorway, which I can then cut into smaller bracelets, either single- or multi-loop.



 Pretty, yes? (Yes.) And guess what? I can't, without adding in extra colors, do this with any of the other flags I've come across, because this is the only one with exactly four colors. Viking weave can only be done with exactly four colors.
Anyway. Admire the pretty things. Be excited that I have new books through inter-library loan.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty! I love the Viking Weave (so that's what one looks like!). You might be able to do a viking weave if you doubled up the colors per-weight, but unless the colors were divisible by 4, you'd wind up having a few strands twice as thick as the others. Ah well. Lovely, and much sympathy regarding the satin thread!

    ReplyDelete