Thursday, July 24, 2014

Jacket copy and other animals

What's been up with me?
I rewrote the reaction part of the blog posts for the week of the conference so that each event gets 200 words to itself that make sense to an outside reader. I still have 200 words for each person in my group and a 10-page paper, but I feel accomplished.
I also hit the point where I need to really flesh out the backstories of my minor characters so I can write decent conversation, so I've been taking a break from adding words to the novel to do that. I'll probably post some of those--if nothing else, they'll make decent quick links for the sidebar box for new readers.
Finally, I wrote the jacket copy, the summary that goes on the inside cover or the back of a book. People were talking about how hard most writers find the jacket copy, because they're so close to the book they can't figure out what's important anymore. I said, really? I always write the jacket copy first. It's often how I start an idea, before I actually write. It tells me what my book is about. Then I realized I haven't done that in a long time, and I didn't do it for this novel. I thought I'd better do it before I got so married to the novel I couldn't write it anymore. And they're right, or I'm out of practice--it was difficult, but I still think it's catchy. It uses female pronouns because spoilers.



Leandra and her best friend since forever, Jimena, are determined that Leandra’s going to college is not going to cause their friendship to fade. After all, Leandra’s going to be a Spanish major, and their mutual fluency in the language is one of the things that keeps them together. But when Leandra gets there, she meets students who identify as transgender—and quickly figures out that there are words for her growing hatred of everything female about her from her body to feminine words in both languages, including Jimena’s pet name querida. This discovery of a new subculture that she may, by no choice of her own, be part of, unseats Leandra, and her struggle to regain her understanding of who she is may cost her the Spanish language—and Jimena.

No comments:

Post a Comment