Thursday, July 3, 2014

Plotly things


So I got through the plot book. I've decided QQQ is a maturation plot, with hints of a transformation plot. Moreover, I discovered that Life, an old novelette I've been working on for years, is a discovery plot. Very handy, as I've been trying to get people to help me figure out how to describe it to publishers for at least a year. It is a nice little book for anyone who's having trouble figuring out what their story's about, and I've definitely met writing tools that tried a lot harder to force you into their blanks. I enjoyed seeing such varied pieces of fiction as Die Hard, Ben-Hur, The Wizard of Oz, and Hamlet broken down into plot. 4.5/5.

In other news, the nameless character acquired a name and more characteristics. I decided to name them Nadie, which is an Algonquin name meaning 'wise'--whether they appropriated it or were born with it I haven't decided. It's also Spanish for 'no one'. They're tall and thin, with thin dark brown hair in a ponytail and a very angular face, muscled arms and an Adam's Apple. They're very private to the pint of shutting people out, and secretly keep a dwarf kitten in their dorm room. They write poetry, I think, and favor short-sleeved blouses (but often wear androgynous clothing in public).



Reading checklist:
Actually assigned:

  • A Change of Climate by Hilary Mantel
  • City of Refuge by Tom Piazza
  • 20 Master Plots and How to Build Them by Ronald B. Tobias
  • "The Progress of Love" by Alice Munro
Not actually assigned:
  • Queer Ricans: Cultures and Sexualities in the Diaspora by Lawrence La-Fountain-Stokes
  • Sirena Selena vestida de pena by Mayra Santos-Febres and Debra Ann Castillo
  • Transgender Voices: Beyond Women and Men by Lori B. Girshick and Jamison Green
  • Transition: The Story of How I Became a Man by Chaz Bono
  • The Lives of Transgender People by Brett Genny Beemyn and Susan R. Rankin

No comments:

Post a Comment